The State Election Commission wants voters to be aware of fast approaching deadlines for voting absentee in the 2014 General Election.
Qualified voters (reasons listed below) may vote absentee either in person or by mail:
IN PERSON Visit your county voter registration office , complete an application, and cast your ballot. You may vote absentee in person up until 5p.m. on Monday, November 3
BY MAIL – WARNING: Voting absentee by mail at this late date should be done only if necessary.
Step 1: Get an absentee application in one of two ways:
2. Request an application from your county voter registration office by phone, mail, email, or fax.You will be mailed an application.
Step 2: Complete and sign the application and return it to your county voter registration office by mail, fax, or email as soon as possible and no later than 5p.m. on Friday, October 31
Step 3: Receive your absentee ballot in the mail and vote the ballot following the instructions.
Step 4: Return the ballot to your county voter registration office in person or by mail no later than 7p.m. on Election Day (November 4).
Some common qualifications for voting absentee (visit scVOTES.org for complete list):
- Physically disabled persons
- Persons attending sick or physically disabled persons
- Students attending school outside their county
- Members of the Armed Forces serving outside their county
- Persons who, for reasons of employment, will not be able to vote on election day
- Government employees serving outside their county of residence
- Persons with a death or funeral in the family within three days before the election
- Persons who plan to be on vacation outside their county of residence on Election Day
- Overseas Citizens
- Persons serving as a juror in state or federal court on Election Day